Translate

Saturday, July 20, 2013

UPDATES

I got my Permit Parking renewal form in the mail the other day...................I hope everyone else did too.

- -

Last month I put forth a Resolution in regards to securing local jobs with Cavalia, worked hard with the Mayor and his administration and I was very happy when the Mayor informed me that indeed it will happen.  If you click here it will bring you to the press release.  I am also working the Mayor and his staff on securing a senior discount.....................As always I will keep you updated should that happen.

- -

Wow!  The Grand Reopening of the Chuckie Harris park was amazing!  The park is absolutely beautiful and there had to be 200 people there.  Check out the photos taken that evening...........you just might be in there.

- -

The 2nd meeting but 1st Visioning meeting for Somerville by Design - East Somerville went well.  It was great to see the kids from Teen Empowerment there and I thought the exercises (don't worry - involving lifting nothing more than a photo and a marker) that we did were pretty interesting.  The 3rd meeting but 2nd Visioning session will be on Monday the 29th at the Capuano School located at 150 Glen Street.  It will be the same as the 1st Visioning session if you missed it.  You can learn more about Somerville by Design by clicking here.

- -

I had a meeting earlier this week with Fire Chief Kelleher regarding fire lanes.   We met at the corner of Austin and Maine walked the length on Maine to Pennsylvania and as we did the Chief pointed out problem spots and expressed his professional opinion - I have to agree with him - safety first.   Within the next couple of weeks you will notice Fire Lane signs going up at the corner of Austin & Maine and again further down Maine as it curves up toward Pennsylvania.  If we did our calculations correct it will mean the lose of 3 parking spaces.   In hind sight losing three parking spaces is nothing next to losing a house or worse if the fire apparatus could not get down the street.  This will also help with street cleaning and trash pick up.

- -

There is so much happening around our City so make sure to check both the City's Calendar of Events and the School's Calendar of Events.

- -

I don't have to tell you just how HOT it has been and how every dangerous being in the heat for extended periods of time can be.  I just ask, as I did during the snow storms of this past winter,  that if you have elderly neighbors to please check in on them. 

- -

Some of you might have notice the "Welcome to East Somerville" sign is missing from the intersection of Broadway & McGrath.  It has been taken down to be refurbished and will be replace when the East Broadway streetscape is finished.  Unfortunately we have to put up with about another year of construction.  I understand it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I have asked DPW to step it up a notch in street cleaning and installing some more trash receptacles as well as keeping up with median strips as I have noticed the grass dying.  In the end we will have wider sidewalks (enough for outdoor seating in some places), hundreds of new trees and plants, bike racks and lanes, friendlier pedestrian crossings, loads of new benches, upgrades to the Lombardi underpass, pedestrian connections to Assembly Square, ADA accessibility, more green space and much more.  Hang in there everyone because when the City is finished East Somerville will be the place everyone wants to be but guess what?  We already live here! 

- -

I'd like to thank the residents of Cobble Hill for inviting me to their annual clambake.  It may have been very hot but there was enough shade, music, great food, cold drinks and awesome people to go around.  If you click here you can see some pictures from that day. 

&

Many thanks to the guys who have been putting together and installing my signs throughout the ward.  Make sure to keep checking my blog for updates throughout the week. 

Stay cool everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment