Translate

Friday, May 10, 2013

Let's Define History




(The following is what I said last night at the Board of Aldermen meeting when I sponsored Katy & Patrick before the Board to give them citations for their heroic action immediately following the explosions at the Boston Marathon.  I mean what I say ...............  Let's define our history!!)

The events of April 15th and the week that followed are forever etched in my memory – in our memories.  It will forever have its place – unfortunately in our history  text books.  

And that upsets me ………………. It upsets me because…………….

We are letting the deplorable actions of 2 cowardly people define our history – define Boston’s history - when in fact we should be letting the actions – heroic actions of 100’s and 100’s of ordinary citizens who did extraordinary things that day define our history.

I am choosing to do the latter.  

I think we as a Board started doing that 2 weeks ago when we voted the Home Rule Petition and we are doing again tonight by recognizing these individuals.

That day Katy Costa & Patrick Canty were ordinary citizens.  They weren’t working – they weren’t in uniform – they were on a day off spending time with family & friends trying to enjoy the beautiful weather and were at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Their actions that day can only be described nothing less than heroic and selfless.  Providing essential & life saving first aid and comforting words to victims until “on duty” emergency personnel took over.

Going blindly into a situation where absolutely no one - at the time -knew what had happened or what could happen next.  Putting the well being of strangers before the needs of themselves.  They witnessed things that no one should have to witness – They saw things no one should have to see – and they did things that many people might not be able to do if in that situation.

Growing up – my Dad who was a Somerville was a Somerville Fire Fighter for many years – would always say to me, “You can tell a man’s true character by the way he handles himself in a crisis situation.”  

If that is the case then I say Katy Costa & Patrick Canty have remarkable character.

I am grateful they are members of our Police Force for it is people like Katy Costa & Patrick Canty whom I would want in my corner should something terrible happen.

I am proud of you both – proud of your actions – proud of your character – proud that you are the people who will be defining our history when it comes to the events of Monday, April 15th 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment