Translate

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekly Email Updates - Friday 8/2/13

If you wish to be part of my weekly email updates (which usually end up in your mailbox 2 or 3 days before I get a chance to post it here) just drop me an email at AldermanBastardi@comcast.net and I will add you to the list.

Permit Parking
As you are already aware the renewal forms for resident permit parking were very late for the month of July and it just so happens to be the month that the majority of Ward 1 residents permits were up for renewal.  I have spoken with the Director and Assistant Director of Traffic & Parking and they have agreed to a two week grace period.   If you haven't already - please make sure to renew your parking permit and if you are having any problems please feel free to give me a call.

- - -

Special thanks to the residents of Cobble Hill and the residents of Mt. Pleasant apartments for coming out to see the Sunsetters.  The Sunsetters - a great group of young Somerville tweens & teens who sing & dance for anyone who requested them to come to their neighborhood.  You can see some photos of the Cobble Hill event by clicking here and the Mt. Pleasant event by clicking here.

- - -

Somerville's 10 Annual Night Out
When:  Tuesday, August 6th from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Where:  Foss Park
National Night out is a free family friendly event. Come and get involved in the partnership between public safety and communities to prevent crime and drugs in our neighborhoods.
Over 25 tables with information about local agencies; a state K-9 unit demonstration; Bike Safety Demonstration by the Somerville Police Department; and performances by local groups such as the Red Tiger Academy of Martial Arts and Sunsetters.
For more information you can
click here.

- - -

You can check out the latest news bulletin from the Somerville Public Library by clicking here.  I love Ward 1 for many reason - too many to list here - but one of those reasons is we have some of the best Somerville Public Library librarians & the Director of the SPL living in our ward. 

- - -

Lots of construction happening on the McCarthy Overpass.  I have listed them here.

- - -

I would just like to draw your attention to an old blog post.  If you click here it will bring you to a post entitled "The Importance of 311."  This is how the City collects it's data and this is how the City determines where problems exist and where resources need to go.  The post was co-written by Steve Craig, Director of Constituent Services & myself.  Every week I receive a report from 311 and that tells me where I need to draw my attention to.  I hope you take a little time to read it and I hope you utilize 311 and of course you can always contact me.

- - -

I have received a couple telephone calls and emails regarding the trees that were taken down on Broadway.  This is all part of the Broadway streetscape project I mentioned in my last email update.  If the trees were left they would right in the middle of the new wider sidewalks.  As much as it pains me to see some very old trees come down - the City will be replacing them as the sidewalks go in.  As I mentioned last week it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but in the end it will all be worth it.

- - -

I have been enjoying the campaign trial very much so far and I am looking forward to meeting more of you in the upcoming days.  I'm committed to running a clean, respectful, dignified and thoughtful campaign.  I have been grateful for a lot of things lately - I am grateful for the great group of diverse Ward 1 residents who have so generously volunteered their time to help me out.  Being an affective Alderman and running an affective campaign at the same time is not an easy thing but these great Ward 1 residents are certainly making it look easy.  I'm grateful for the experience in City Government that I brought with me from the School Committee to the Board of Aldermen.   If I didn't have it I think I would still be looking for the light switches at City Hall so to speak.  And I am certainly grateful to be representing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment